September 9, 2021
Central Ohio Quilt Guild Meeting minutes via Zoom.
President Marah Light called the meeting to order at 640pm.
Officer Nominations for 2022 are now open!
Officer elections for 2022 are underway! Kristen and Maggie have both volunteered to be on the nominating committee to organize the guild election. If you would like to run for an office or nominate another member, email either Kristen or Maggie with your nomination!
We were hoping to resume live meetings, but due to an increase in Covid cases, the decision was made to continue with virtual meetings until April 2022. The guild will keep a few in-person events on the calendar for the remainder of the year.
Saturday, September 18th 1pm-5pm
Dublin Library, Meeting Room 1, 75 N. High Street, Dublin OH 43017
Saturday, September 25th, 9am-1pm
Sew to Speak De-Stash on the Lawn, 752 High Street, Columbus OH 43085
Saturday, October 9th, Guild Picnic 4pm-7pm, Blendon Woods – Dogwood Pavilion
4265 E Dublin-Granville Road, Westerville OH 43801
Sunday, December 5th, Holiday Party & Guild Sew-In, Eagle Pavilion
3899 Orders Road, Grove City, OH 43123
Did You Know?
- Guild member Steph Skardal was featured on the Quilting Arts Podcast! Check out the episode: The Intersection of Art and Technology
- Bernina is coming out with a new machine! New Bernina: Crystal Edition
- The Great Wisconsin Quilt Show is going on now! It’s completely free and virtual. Don’t miss out on the beautiful work!
- Columbus Art Walks are Sept 1 – end of Oct. Collect a passport and check out some of the amazing exhibits throughout Columbus! Members shared info regarding a Columbus Art Gallery passport available at most of the main art sites in Columbus. This is a good opportunity to go for an art walk in Columbus and visit many of the art exhibits.
- Quilt National is coming to the Riffe Gallery in early 2022! Stay tuned for updates!
- Ohio Amish Country Quilt Show going on until Sept 11
- Robin Pickens is scheduled to be the featured speaker in Berlin in the August 2022 Show. If you love her work, keep your eye out for events!
- New quilt artist, fabric designer, shop owner Kori Turner Goodhart presented a trunk show at a recent quilt show in Berlin Ohio. Kori is from Cortland Ohio. You can find her at Olive Grace Studios.
Did You Know? Great Tools Edition:
- Gypsy Quilter Spot On Dot Magnifying Lens Set – how it works youtube
Charity Update – Cassandra Beaver was the winner of the design contest for the community outreach quilt. Volunteers will be working on assembly and quilting. Congratulations Cassandra!
Upcoming 2021 Programming:
October Meeting Programming (Virtual): A presentation will be presented by Becky Campbell, Sewforever Quilting. Becky will be presenting English paper piecing and will be sending templates out to members who would like to participate in the demo. Please fill out the survey no later than September 22nd in order to get your template in time!
The two color quilt challenge is drawing to a close! At the October meeting we would like to have members that participated present their completed quilt tops! Members will vote on their favorite quilt and prizes will be given. We will also have an open discussion to share ideas on quilting designs if the participants would like help with inspiration.
October Virtual Sew-In: Saturday October 16th, 10am-2pm
October Picnic: The guild has also scheduled an October picnic will be October 9th from 4-7pm at the Blendon Woods Metro Park in the Dogwood Pavilion. Lissa will be leading a project to create fabric wreaths, just in time for fall! Materials and supplies will be sent out prior to the event.
Members are asked to bring their own snacks due to Covid concerns.
Photo: Examples of the beautiful fabric wreaths we’ll be making at the picnic.
December 5 sew-in & Holiday Party:
The guild will be hosting Lesley Storts who will be doing a pincushion workshop. The workshop is $30 a person. The ceramic bowls will be provided. Members will receive a supply list prior to the workshop.
The workshop is completely optional and does not require a machine. It will be scheduled for a couple of hours during the sew-in with plenty of time remaining for members to work on individual projects.
October 2021 – December 2022: Programming Budget Approval
Members voted and approved a spending budget for guild programming of $1500 to secure speakers and programming through December 2022. After discussing the general rates for Virtual speakers ($250-$400) members agreed to allocate a budget for our programming leaders to begin to schedule more lush programming content. At this time, member Lissa has reached out to several speakers that have potential availabilities in the upcoming months. Stay tuned for the exciting demos, lectures, and trunk shows!
Charity Budget Approval: Ohio State Fair 4-H Participation Donation
Members voted and approved a spending budget of $300 for Charity programming. The budget will be spent on creating participation prizes for the youth 4-H program participating in the Ohio State Fair.
After the above approvals, the remaining balance in the guilds account will amount to $4100.